Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Ladysmith Black Mambazo is regarded as South Africa’s cultural ambassador at home and around the world. With the power of gospel and the precision of Broadway, Ladysmith Black Mambazo is the undisputed king of mbube—South African a cappella. Experience a taste of African Culture and world music at its best!
CALIFORNIA COMMON CORE STANDARDS EASILY APPLIED IN YOUR CLASSROOM:
- 2.RL.4: Describe how words and phrases (e.g., regular beats, alliteration, rhymes, repeated lines) supply rhythm and meaning in a story, poem, or song.
- 9-10.RH.4: Determine the meaning of words and phrases as they are used in a text, including vocabulary describing political, social, or economic aspects of history/social science.
Lesson Plan Idea: Discuss criteria with students and assign a written review of a contemporary world music album.
ADD ARTISTS IN THE SCHOOLS!
Ladysmith Black Mambazo: African Culture & Art
INCLUDES THREE VISITS TO YOUR CLASSROOM!
Your students will explore the culture and traditions of Africa in this three-lesson mini-residency. Working with multicultural teaching artist Judy Timmerman, students will create a dynamic work of art while learning about Africa’s diverse geography, culture, and traditions. The rich colors and textures of African folk and fine art will be the inspiration for students creating their own multimedia pieces.
CALIFORNIA’S COMMON CORE STANDARDS:
- 6.SL.2: Interpret information presented in diverse media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and explain how it contributes to a topic, text, or issue under study.
- 7.SL.2: Analyze the main ideas and supporting details presented in diverse media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and explain how the ideas clarify a topic, text, or issue under study.
- 8.SL.2: Analyze the purpose of information presented in diverse media and formats (e.g., visually, quantitatively, orally) and evaluate the motives (e.g., social, commercial, political) behind its presentation.
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
10:30am (Sold out!)
Contact Melanie Weir to be added to the waitlist.
Study Guide (PDF)
Education Programs On Sale August 12, 2013 starting at 9:00am.Order Form (PDF)
Other School Shows
Sewam American Indian Dance Company
Complexions Contemporary Ballet
Golden Dragon Acrobats
Angelina Ballerina: The Musical
Hangin’ with the Giants
Warriors Don’t Cry
Happily Ever After: A Cinderella Tale
Four Score and Seven Years Ago
Ladysmith Black Mambazo
Sid the Science Kid – Live!
Wizard of Oz
Movies to Games, Classically Trained
Ellis Island: Gateway to a Dream
Alexander and the… Very Bad Day